About The Plaid Horse
The Plaid Horse is America’s Premiere Horse Show Magazine. The Plaid Horse was founded in 2003 to serve the equestrian community. In 2019, examples of horse show distribution included: The Devon Horse Show, USEF Pony Finals, all HITS shows, Lake Placid Horse Shows, Blenheim Equisports, Washington International Horse Show, The National Horse Show, and the Pin Oak Charity Horse Show.
The Plaid Horse is a print and digital publishing company, proudly printed in the United States. We provide exceptional coverage for the hunter/jumper/breeding disciplines at reasonable rates. We support equestrian competitors, horse fans, the general public, and suppliers to the industry through horse show and event coverage, equine articles of interest, and advertisements.
Have a story you want to share with the world? Submit it to The Plaid Horse blog for consideration!
We're always looking for personal narratives about unique experiences within the equestrian sport, stories about overcoming obstacles, profiles highlighting exceptional horsemanship.
Pieces should be between 500-1,200 words, be free of grammatical errors/typos and appropriate for all ages. Pieces that have been published elsewhere (this includes personal blogs) are not eligible for submission.
If your story is selected for publication, you'll be rewarded with a $25 gift card to saddleshoppe.com to get amazing equestrian fashion for you and your horse!
Review may take up to 30 days. You will be alerted with all final decisions from the editor.
The Salute to the Dog Creative Writing Contest is sponsored by The Plaid Horse. This special collection of literary prose will honor man's best friend and encourages submissions that celebrate the emotional experience of sharing your life with a dog.
Goose Wickes Prize in Prose - $1,000
The Eliot Springer Spaniel Emerging Authors Prize * - $250
Submissions shall be judged on quality of language, originality, level of engagement with the reader and development of the intense human connection with dogs.
- All work must be submitted in Times New Roman, double-spaced with 1” margins.
- Include page numbers in the top right corner.
- Include a title page with your address, phone number, e-mail address and the title of your submission.
- Submitted documents should not contain any illustrations/photographs.
Terms & Conditions
- By submitting your work, you grant The Plaid Horse first North American print and electronic publication rights and guarantee that the submission is your own, original writing. All rights return to the author after publication.
- If the work is re-published at a later date, we request a notice that it first appeared in The Plaid Horse
- The Plaid Horse will mark all contest entries as “ACCEPTED.” After the submission deadline when winners are announced, non-winning entries may be considered for general publication.